1. Movies/ Books - I am one of the biggest Harry Potter nerds around. I know this may sound a little strange coming from a Catholic nun, but stick with me for a minute. If you have read the books you know that it falls into a similar category as Lord of the Rings (also a fan) and Chronicles of Narnia (again...also a fan). J.K Rowling takes Harry on a heroic journey starting from the time he was 11 years old. His quest is such a noble one...to save himself and others from Voldemort. On this quest he must make difficult decisions and sacrifice himself, and his own wants and desires. Sound familiar? I find Harry's quest similar to Jesus' in that he must make the ultimate sacrifice to save the world. I also love that Harry is indeed flawed, his temper and rash decision making getting the best of him at times. The theme of the books (and therefor the movies) is that love is the ultimate power. To me that is the essential Christian message. (as a point of interest, I am a Ravenclaw)
2. Television - Glee! Being a choir nerd I was immediately enthralled by this show. They had me hooked from the moment they covered Journey's "Don't Stop Believin". The message of self-acceptance is important. No one should be made to feel less because they are different. This is an extremely important message to me because of my own background of being different. I love how the show embraces people form all races, sizes, backgrounds and belief systems. Do they occasionally go over the top with sexuality? (I'm not speaking about gay issues here which need to be talked about, but showing teenagers in bed) Yeah, but given the huge heart of the show, this can be forgiven.
Other TV shows I enjoy are Psych, Big Bang Theory (thanks mom), How I met your Mother, the Daily Show and A&E's intervention.
3. Music - Having grown up in the 80's and 90's you know I love me some New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys, N'sync and especially Boys II Men. Yes, they are adorable and their posters were in my room, but more than that, they can really sing. I have every single one of each of these bands albums (including some European imports with tracks I really liked). Christina Aguilara is another one of my favorites. Her album Stripped is one of my all-time favorite albums. I also like a lot of Christian music artists including Michael W Smith, Amy Grant, Kirk Franklin, Toby Mac and Kutlass. Michael W Smith's Worship and Worship again are great. I also like a lot of lilith fair type artists such as Sara Mclachlan, Jewel, Melissa Etheridge ect...
This just gives you a flavor of my tastes, please don't tell me how much you think some of these suck or whatever... intelligent discussion only. No problem if you would like to politely disagree with me but any abusive or inappropriate language will not be tolerated. So keep it clean, ok?
No comments:
Post a Comment